Forum Name: Headaches

Question: headaches in the back of my neck.

acegolfer7 - Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:24 am

I am a 19 year old male college student, with no previous diagnoses, surgeries. Family history unknown.

I have been experiencing reacurring headaches located directly behind my eyes on the back of my head. The headaches are usually worse with an adrenaline rise or raise of my heart beat, and are also syncronized with my heart beat. The headaches have been occuring randomly for the past 2-3 weeks. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:35 pm

User avatar Hi Acegolfer7,

Your description of the headache and location are consistent with a tension type headache. These may also be migraines.

Tension headaches often will occur in the afternoon, can be pounding, and are often located in a headband distribution including the temples and/or back of the head.

Migraine headaches can also occur in the back of the head. Typically with migraines, light hurts the eyes, sound can hurt the ears, and they may be associated with a sense that the headache is going to occur before it begins.

I would suggest you see your doctor to discuss this if your headaches occur. It is reasonable to try using a pain medicine such as ibuprofen or tylenol if you have not done this already.

Also, you can look for things that may be triggering your headache, such as certain foods or activities that you are alway doing before the headache starts.

|