News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Cracking joints, headaches

HGVCBoy - Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:04 am

I am actually not sure where to post this comment as it has to do with pain throughout my body.

I've been cracking my joints (knuckles, elbows, knees, neck, back..) for around 18 years. I'm 25 now. I want to stop, but if I don't crack certain areas like my neck, I will start to be in pain. If I don't crack my neck I will develop an intense headache... Is this just a withdrawal effect? Is there a better way to quit than just cold turkey?

Sorry if this wasn't a good place to post this.

Have a great day
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:09 pm

User avatar Hi HGVCBoy,

There has never been any conclusive evidence that cracking joints causes any distress except for the possibility that some stress over the long term could subject the tendons and bones to unnatural pressure. Over a long period of time, body tissues do not recover so well from such manipulations. This can create joint pain similar to that of professional athletes after years of repetitive muscle/ligament stress. The idea that it could cause arthritis has not been substantiated.

It is unlikely that it is causing the headache unless you are just feeling tense due to the desire to "crack" and that tenseness itself is causing headache.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here