News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Stiff Person Syndrome?

LORIJAN - Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:35 pm

I am a 46 year old female of Northern European descent. Last year, I was diagnosed with Diabetes (Type 1), Pernicious Anemia (Parietal Cell Antibodies present), Iron Deficiency (my Ferritin is typically between 3-5) and Dupytrens Contractures in both hands (I had surgery on each hand). I have had Colonoscopy + Endoscopy recently - both normal. My previous endocrinologist had me tested for GAD-65 autoantibodies and my result (two different testings) was over 15, 000 (normal range <0. 5). I asked my doctor, but he could not tell me why my GAD test is so high. I have researched this online and the only explanation I could find was SPS (stiff person syndrome). I am taking long-acting Insulin (45units HS), Metformin 1000mg BID, B12, Mevacor 80mg HS. What can you tell me about the GAD test and what this result means? Is there anything that I should do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:06 am

User avatar Hi Lorijan,

GAD is glutamic acid decarboxylase. Anti-GAD antibodies are strongly correlated with the development of type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes.

Typically, the anti-GAD antibody levels would decrease over time. I am not sure why they would remain elevated unless your pancreas has not yet been "fully" damaged in regards to its ability to make insulin.

If you are not experiencing nay of the symptoms of stiff person syndrome I would suspect that the anti-GAD antibodies are probably related to your diabetes.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here