News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Muscle Twitching/Spasms

collegeboy1263 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:24 am

Hello. I am a 22 y/o male what has been having muscle twitches the past three weeks. They are usually on my right calf muscle, but have been noticing them on my left calf muscle, stomach and upper right arm. I would have to say that 90% of the time it is on my right calf muscle, 8% of the time on the left calf muscle and about 2% of the time on my stomach and upper right arm. I had muscle twitches on my left foot and calf muscle before, about 6months ago, and they disappeard and now they are back. I am not sure if it has maybe something to do with my changing jobs (going from a stand on your feet all day, usually 10 hour shifts, to a sit down desk job) I switched jobs about a month ago. the past two days, i been getting discomfort on my legs near my knee and sometimes i get a cramp like pain in my right calf muscle, not really a pain type feeling, but light, a "tight" or "pulling" muscle. It seems like when I am walking or doing something on my feet my muscles don't twitch, but when I am laying down or sitting down they start to twitch. I would say i get 20+ twitches a day. they usualy last only a few seconds and then they go away. I am just a little scared because i read up on the twitches online and they say ALS, MS... that i would just die if i had... It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has some insight on whats going on with me! Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are certainly harmless twitches so don't get overly alarmed. You could even have restless leg syndrome. There are medications that can help but some people find that regular exercise such as a short run each night helps curb the symptoms. Since you mentioned going to a more sedentary job, perhaps this could help you. It would not hurt to be sure and take a multivitamin with minerals every day to be sure you are not lacking in some basic nutrient such as calcium. Eating fresh fruit like a banana each day, is a good way to be sure your potassium is adequate. These elements sometimes affect muscle cramps.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here