Question: Thinking MS

Mom32 - Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:06 pm

I am a 32 year old woman in good health, with 3 small children. I've had no surgeries, and my only med is 100mg zoloft for mild ppd.
About 8 years ago I had an episode of a hole in the vision of my right eye. It resolved after several hours, and I hoped that was the end of it.
About a year ago I started having annoying, almost painful tingling on the left side of my back from the spine to the shoulder blade. I kept asking my husband if the skin looked strange there, and after a while I just began to live with it.
Then last winter when I was pregnant with our 3rd baby, I had another brief episode of a hole in the vision of my right eye. I was alarmed, but it again resolved itself in short order.
Now I'm starting to feel like I'm falling apart. The tingling in my back is worse, and I now have tingling on my scalp and face, in my arms and legs and especially my left hand. I have burning in my feet, experience more and more frequent vertigo, and I often feel confused. It's especially frustrating when I can't remember what I was going to do 2 minutes ago or can't recall the meaning of a common word.
All of these symptoms wax and wane--and just when I think it was all my imagination--they come back and bring a new one with them!
Should I be suspicious of MS? Or should I wait to see if more symptoms appear before going in to see a physician?
Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:30 pm

User avatar Hi Mom32,

Multiple sclerosis could account for these symptoms. I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation. You may need some imaging studies such as an MRI.

Mom32 - Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:33 am

This helps in my decision. It's just tough when one day you have no symptoms! I'd hate to go through unneccessary testing.
Thanks again for your time.

|