News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: neuro mucular disorder

 susieQ1 - Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:02 am

I have a friend in her early 60 that has myopathy & autonomic nervous system problems. I don't know the correct terminology, but her leg is drawing or turning back & also her rib cage. I believe she called it muscle contracture. She has numbness & pain. Her neurologist does not know what else to do for her. Can you give me some idea of what kind of treatment she should have & what type physician she should go to. We live in a small town & are very limited in specialist. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:43 pm

User avatar Hi SusieQ1,

I apologize for the long delay in answering your question. Within the specialty of neurology there is a subspecialty that deals only with neuromuscular problems. If there is a neuromuscular specialist in your area this is certainly the doctor to see. Her neurologist may be able to refer you to such a specialist.

Regarding treatment options, generally I would suggest she discuss using muscle relaxants such as valium and baclofen to help relax her muscle contractures. More specific treatment options depend on the underlying cause of her illness.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions
advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2017
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here