Question: Restless Sleep

dark2025 - Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:10 am

Hi, I'm a 21 year old male. For a while now (couple of months), I've been waking up extremely tired, but the feeling usually passes after an hour or two. This past week or so though, I have been waking up a lot during the middle of the night for no apparent reason. It's gotten worse now these past three days or so, since I would be waking up with dull headaches that would last throughout the day, and a feeling of what you normally get when you've got a flu or cold, except I have no physical symptoms. All day now I just want to pass out, although I have taken naps feeling even worse afterwards. I put a pad of paper beside my bed so I can jot down exactly what I was feeling and the times that I wake up at. I'm not sure it's of any help though, since the night previous to yesterday the only thing I have is this: Sleep at 3:17, woke up at 4:33, 8:36, and finally 9:23. No unusual feelings or urges were present, only tiredness from being woken up. No identifiable causes. Last night I think I woke up once, but forgot to get the time. Again I don't think it was for any particular reason.

I don't think anything's changed in me in the past 2 or 3 years, and it's not like I've ever had a consistent problem of not being able to fall asleep, I can usually do that with no problems, it's just the keeping asleep part that I can't do. I've had pretty much the same diet, same amount of coffee/cola consumption, no new stresses (I usually never get anything to stress me out anyway, but this sleeping thing really is slightly stressful to me right now). It's been pretty much exactly the same. I guess I'm now sleeping more regular hours, that's pretty much it. I normally try for 8, except sometimes if I mysteriously wake up earlier than that, I won't be able to fall asleep again, so I suppose I usually get about 6 to 9 hours, excluding any sleep disturbances. I can actually sleep through noises, I know this because I'm never awoken by anything the others do in the house, only by the sound of my alarm.

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I've had a lot of dreams lately, more than I remember having ever before. These are pretty pointless dreams too, like if it's Saturday night, it'll be like me reliving that day in my dreams, or living out Sunday, in which case the dreams get slightly weirder since my brain is not good at predicting the future, apparently. Or it'll just be me talking to my friends or watching TV... really pointless stuff. Sometimes when I wake up randomly I would be in one of these dreams (maybe that's why I remember more dreams than I used to), and I'll just feel as if the dreams are overwhelming my brain, as if my brain is not resting at all, but merely working even harder to produce these dreams.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me out!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:23 pm

User avatar I would guess this is not physical, but emotional/mental. Your brain is processing unfinished business through dreams so it's not surprising you have ordinary life dreams. But, when you don't get adequate rest with the differing sleep stages, your health and well-being can suffer, as you have seen. So, I would see a mental health therapist. It may be you could get relief through therapy alone or there could be some underlying, unrecognized depression. An evaluation would be helpful. There are also physical problems that can manifest in sleep disruption such as thyroid problems. So, talking to your doctor would also be a good idea.

|