News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Do I need an MRI scan?

butterflyhugzs - Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:06 pm

Hello, I really could do with some advice. I have suffered with headaches and migraines for a few years now but the headaches seemed to have increased in frequency. I now can get about three headaches a day; I can normally cope for a while but often have to take pain killers at least once a day. I often wake with a headache in the morning which clears quite quickly. When I get really bad headaches/migraines I can only lie on my left side as the pain is too intense. Walking bending forward and straining make the bad ones worse. I have recently developed blurred vision and weakness down my left side, which have also developed a burning in my leg and nausea I also get terrible neck pain. My doctor seemed concerned and sent me to see a neurologist, as I have CFS and Fibromyalgia he thinks it is probably my illness causing these new symptoms. I am not 100% sure. I also get dizzy, tinnitus, facial pain all down the left side very bad memory. But have had these symptoms for a long time. My doctor recently done tests like getting me to walk on my heals and toes, which I could not do, any idea what that is about? When I saw the neurologist he said he did not think it was a neurological problem. He said it is probably due to the other illness although he did notice the weakness down my left side.
I had a 10 minute MRI about 9 months ago but it concentrated on my ear as tinnitus is worse in left ear, this was fine. As the MRI was looking in a certain area would it have picked up if something else was wrong? My doctor seemed to imply he wanted me to have a full brain and maybe body scan but this did not happen, I am in the UK and am an NHS patient but wondered if I should go private and have an MRI scan as I am obviously worried by the amount and severity of the headaches, Is this normal? Should I be worried?
Someone mentioned contrast with an MRI scan would this help. Sorry so much information any advice would be helpful. Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:19 pm

User avatar Hi Butterflyhugzs,

You have mentioned a few things that make me concerned. With a past history of migraines it is certainly possible that you are simply having worsening migraines. However, waking up with a headache is very atypical for a migraine since sleep generally relieves it. Also, migraines do not typically cause weakness.

Given these things I think it would be very appropriate to have an MRI of the head with contrast to look for any possible problems.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here