Question: Brain (cerebral) aneurysm symptoms

tiffairy - Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:52 pm

27, Female, Chiari Malformation, Situational High Blood Pressure, Anxiety, Arrythmias, Family History of High Blood Pressure and Heart Disease, no current meds.

I had an MRI/MRA of my head which was normal (except for a type 1 Chiari Malformation) about 8 months ago and one prior to that a few months before. 2 weeks ago though, I had abrupt onset of dizziness (which isn't a totally new occurence it just lasted longed this time) which was not brought on by position changes but seemed to be made worse by them and was accompanied by a mild to moderate headache which was no different than my usual headaches, the only difference was that this two things occurred together (the headache may have come minutes later, can't remember) and the dizziness lasted a lot longer than normal (about 1 or 2 hours) and the headache for about a day which is not uncommon for me.

I saw a neurologist who told me it was probably an inner ear thing or migraine but said he could do an MRI to rule out anything more serious. However, when he found out I had one 8 months ago, told me to cancel it which I did for fear of tests I do not need. He said no aneurysm could develop so quickly.

Here is my question ...

I do not have high blood pressure generally, very normal except when under alot of stress or having an anxiety take which I have rather frequently, a few times a week and I know from measure that my bp shoots up to 160/115 or so during these times for minutes at a time only but it's still frightening. He says that it is not this kind of blood pressure that would do it but long term high bp and also that it would take much longer than 8 months to develop.

I am looking for a second opinion on this and also what if the aneurysm were already there but too small too see, could it have grown to a dangerous level in this short time from the bp?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:42 pm

User avatar Hi Tiffairy,

I would tend to agree with your neurologist. If no aneurysm was seen 8 months ago it is very unlikely to be present now. I would also agree that intermittent hypertension associated with anxiety would not be expected to lead to an aneurysm.

Dizziness is rarely thought of as being due to an aneurysm. More commonly it is due to an inner ear problem. Migraines can also do this, as your neurologist has suggested.

If it happens again you may want to see an ear, nose and throat doctor to have your inner ear evaluated for possible causes such as otoliths (small stones in the balance centers of the ear).

tiffairy - Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Thank you so much Dr. Lowe.

With limited time, it's not always easy to be seen in office for a second opinion so I thank you kindly for yours.

|