News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Polyneuropathy & swelling in legs, ankles

Goldy2 - Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:27 am

My 74-year-old mother suffers from polyneuropathy and is on pains meds. She has severe chronic swelling in both legs and ankles. Is this related to the neuropathy? (She's not diabetic.) Where can I learn more about polyneuropathy, its symptoms and treatment?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:35 pm

User avatar Hi Goldy2,

The swelling of the hands and feet may be related to decreased circulation in those areas. Sometimes polyneuropathies can begin to affect the blood vessels.

It may also be unrelated to the polyneuropathy. Swelling can also be an early sign that the heart is beginning to have some trouble.

I would recommend that she see her doctor about this to be sure that everything is OK. Treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Regarding where to get more information the internet is a great resource but I recommend you stick to more reputable sites such as this one or others like WebMD. Unfortunately there is a lot of false information out there and sorting it out can be difficult. Sites such as this one do the sorting for you.

Best wishes.
 Goldy2 - Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks so much for the information, Dr. Lowe. I really appreciate it!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here