Question: BURNING PAIN -- TINGLING IN HEAD

thester6474 - Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:12 pm

User avatar Hi, I am a 25 year old bi-racial female from Southeastern Georgia. I have a lot of unexplained symptoms that are really becoming a nuisance. At onset of the symptoms (late January) I would noticing some paresthesia in my right leg. At first it would start everyday and it would stay for hours at the time, I would try walking it off, but nothing would help. Shortly after though it became very persistent, and stayed this way for weeks, and I mean WEEKS. I also had a lot of difficulty swallowing, thinking clearly, fatigue, headaches, depression and an awful memory. At first these were the only symptoms present. (That would not be for long though) The symptoms then seemed to have gone away, and I started thanking Jesus, thinking that it was over (and believe me I am NOT a religious person). It is funny how when things go wrong though that is the FIRST person you call on, the LORD you have been raised to worship. In late February the symptoms began again, this time I decided to go see my General Practitioner. He asked me to get in a hospital gown and proceeded to stick me with two objects, one sharp and one dull. While doing this I was responsible for telling him which one he pocked me with. After about 20 to 25 sticks on both sides, he came to the conclusion that I was unable to decipher this on my right side (with every stick on the right side I was wrong). These symptoms continued to be the few problems I had, up into May when I woke up and was unable to move due to excruciating pain (burning in my muscles) which lasted all of three days, which was followed of course by the symptoms that preceded it.. I had two MRIS of my brain, one in March and one in June. I also had a EEG, EMG, Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) and a Visual Evoked Potential (VEP) all before January. All these tests seemed to come back normal, all my Neurologist could find was a B-12 deficiency. So he prescribed a b-12 injection weekly for me and Nortriptyline for the headaches. Hoping this would alleviate some of the symptoms he decided not to see me again, and referred me to a Rheumatologist. My symptoms now include the following:

*Burning pain (in muscles)
*Stiffness
*Swelling
*Fatigue
*Malaise
*Depression
*Headaches
*Irritability
*Anxiousness
*Weakness
*Tingling Sensations
*Low Grade Fever
*Shaky right hand – sort of a tremor
*Proprioception – loss of position sense – *Major Cramps and Spasms
*Dysesthia
*Chronic Urinary Tract Infections – from urinary retention????
*Feel faint and dizzy
*Bothered by noises and lights
*Back pain with movement and bending
*Tingling in Left Side of Brain
*Extreme fatigue in muscles

Please help me, I am so tired of not knowing what it could be. I go and see a different Neurologist on November the 6th. Could it still be a possibility of being Multiple Sclerosis, or could some of these symptoms be side effects of my medicines, I am currently on 13 or 14 different medicines....Or could the burning and tingling be coming from Neuropathy?
I have already been diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome, fibromyalgia, myoclonus, spinal stenosis, kyphosis, scoliosis, disc desiccation, among a few other things.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:50 pm

User avatar Hi Thester6474,

I would recommend you have a complete MRI of your spinal cord. Sometimes multiple sclerosis can attack only the spinal cord initially. Your symptoms seem to localize to the spinal cord.

The EMG is not the best test for looking at sensation problems, nor is the EEG, so it isn't too surprising that these are normal.

Follow up with a neurologist will be important.

|