News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Hemorrhagic stroke, no recovery

jessicaerin22 - Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:07 pm

My 75 yr. old grandmother who is in top physical health had a hemorrhagic stroke 1 week ago. She made it through the surgery, was nodding and shaking her head and moving all her limbs. She was fully aware of who was in the room, where she was, etc. The prognosis was getting better even though she couldn't open her eyes all the way. Suddenly, yesterday morning her brain started bleeding again and she slipped back into a vegetative state. The surgeons said they cannot operate again because if she survived she would be a vegetable. They are simply going to make her comfortable until she passes.
As devastating and heart breaking as this sudden change is, I have to also be practical. I live in another state and need to plan when I will go back again...2 plane tickets last minute is too large for our budget.Does anyone know of an average amount of time someone in this state might live? I have been told anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of week. One said 1 week at the most.
Thank you for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:44 pm

User avatar Hi Jessicaerin22,

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. Unfortunately, I'm not able to give you any definite answer to your question. The truth is that even her doctors who have given you the estimate of less than a few weeks are only basing their guess on what they can determine with the likelihood of her condition improving or deteriorating. It is possible, even though less likely, that she may continue to live for a long time.

However, from what you are describing, unfortunately it does sound like it will not be long. I wish I could give you more information but the variability is simply too much to tell.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here