Question: Hemorrhagic stroke, no recovery

jessicaerin22 - Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:07 pm

My 75 yr. old grandmother who is in top physical health had a hemorrhagic stroke 1 week ago. She made it through the surgery, was nodding and shaking her head and moving all her limbs. She was fully aware of who was in the room, where she was, etc. The prognosis was getting better even though she couldn't open her eyes all the way. Suddenly, yesterday morning her brain started bleeding again and she slipped back into a vegetative state. The surgeons said they cannot operate again because if she survived she would be a vegetable. They are simply going to make her comfortable until she passes.
As devastating and heart breaking as this sudden change is, I have to also be practical. I live in another state and need to plan when I will go back again...2 plane tickets last minute is too large for our budget.Does anyone know of an average amount of time someone in this state might live? I have been told anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of week. One said 1 week at the most.
Thank you for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:44 pm

User avatar Hi Jessicaerin22,

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. Unfortunately, I'm not able to give you any definite answer to your question. The truth is that even her doctors who have given you the estimate of less than a few weeks are only basing their guess on what they can determine with the likelihood of her condition improving or deteriorating. It is possible, even though less likely, that she may continue to live for a long time.

However, from what you are describing, unfortunately it does sound like it will not be long. I wish I could give you more information but the variability is simply too much to tell.

|