News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: close eyes - get naseous

manna - Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:28 pm

I have a student (22 yrs old) that when she closes (during a guided meditation, for example) her eyes for a couple of minutes she gets very dizzy and naseous. Touching the chair or wall helps, but does not take it away. Should I be concerned? Right now, I tell her not to close her eyes fully to get around this response.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:33 pm

User avatar Hello,

This sounds like it could be an inner ear problem. Conditions of the inner ear such as Meniere's disease may manifest by symptoms of vertigo, nausea which can be produce imbalance upon closing the eyes.

She should have it checked for sure.

Keep this thread updated.
 manna - Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:50 am

Thank you. I wasn't thinking Menieres because as soon as she opens her eyes the dizziness and nausea will go away. I only comes on when she closes her eyes for longer than a few seconds. Someone else suggested vestibulitis? I agree that there is some inner ear problem, and will encourage her to get it checked out. Thank you for your reply.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:05 pm

User avatar Actually there is a whole list of diseases that can lead to vertigo all of which require serious consideration. These include neurological diseases as well as cerebrovascular conditions as well as certain drugs.

However, most of these conditions (including Meniere's disease and vestibular neuritis) more commonly present as a problem that progresses with time.

One common possibility, since you state that her symptoms are recurrent as opposed to persistent, is a condtion known as benign positional vertigo.

In either case, she would need to be assessed if only to exclude the more serious causes.

Please keep this thread updated and let us know if a diagnosis is reached.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here