Question: migraines, pressure in head and loss of hearing

maggie1965 - Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:12 am

I am a 42 year old woman, I have been suffering chronic neck and upper back pain now for several years. I was always treated with pain medication and muscle relaxers. I would suffer from migraines from time to time, and over the past couple of years, I would call them episodes, I would suffer in pain terribly for a few weeks at a time with sharp shooting pains stemming from my upper spine up my neck and into my shoulder and would get severe migraines, but they would eventually go away.

About two months ago something much more severe started happening, I started to get severe migraine headaches, and then started feeling alot of pressure coming from the middle of brain, it felt like my head was going to explode, I wasn't able to hear (I could only hear very loud sounds), I feel dizzy and lightheaded, I am nausiated, throwing up all of the time, I would wake up completly sweaty like night sweats, tired and fatigued all of the time, I just want to sleep for hours on end, my vision is blurry, I have completely lost most of energy, my neck and upper back are severly sore, my upper spine going up to my neck is sore to the touch. I went to see my PC doctor and I told her about all of my symptoms and looked at me like I was exaggerating. She told me to take sinus medication that it was probably a sinus infection, but I have and have never suffered any sinus problems. She referred me to a neurologist, and I told him of my symptoms and he just prescribed Imetrex for my migraines. I kept telling them, what about the rest of my symptoms, he didn't seem that concerned, but I am.

Over the last two months, my quality of life went from being a somewhat active person to someone who spends most my time in bed. My hearing seems to come and go, and when I can hear it's not what it was, it's very dulled. I am just so tired all of the time and when I sleep I will sleep for hours. I am only awake for a few hours out of the day. (I am normally a person who has a hard time sleeping maybe 5-6 hours a night). I am nausiated 24-7, I never feel any relief from that and the pressure in head comes and goes too. But through all of this my neck and back never stop hurting. I have looked briefly into these symptoms and have found a few things stemming either from inner ear infections to meningitis or lyme disease.

Is there any advice anyone can give me that I can pass on to my doctors so I can finally get some relief from all of this, two months is a long time to be feeling this weak from all of this pain.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 pm

User avatar Hi Maggie1965,

The things you mentioned could cause these things but they would be unlikely to do so. An inner ear infection would not be expected to continue for 2 months without getting better or making you extremely sick. This applies to meningitis as well. Lyme disease actually doesn't fit your symptoms all that well.

In reading your symptoms, I am quite suspicious that you may be having severe complex migraines, especially with your previous history of migraine headaches. Complex migraines can cause other neurological symptoms in addition to the headache.

It sounds like you've never really gotten this to resolve. I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor to see about using a different treatment for migraines to see if it would help better. Also, with the frequency of your symptoms I would recommend you consider discussing with your doctor about starting a prophylaxis medication to help prevent the migraines from occurring.

|