News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Optic Nerve Hemorrhage?

slw1822 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:21 am

I'm very sorry that I couldn't find an eye forum so I figured that this would be the next best place for my question.
I'm a 25 year old female.

I went to the emergency room because I have been having blurry vision. awful dizziness that has been lasting for a week it doesn't just come and go its always there. It feels like the room is constantly spinning. And my right wrist, hand, fore arm, and foot has been numb and weak. The ER doctor sent me to an eye doctor who said that my optic nerve was hemorrhaging, but he wouldn't go into detail because he was busy. Instead he sent me to a neurologist who did a ct scan which came back normal and he is now sending me for an MRI.

My question is what exactly does it mean for the nerves in my eye to be hemorrhaging and how could this be related to my dizziness, numbness, and weakness? Why would the eye doctor send me to a neurologist? I'm too impatient to wait for test results that will more than likely come back normal anyways.

Thank You Very Much.
 CelticLabyrinth - Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:52 am

I'm not a doctor, but I have pseudotumor cerebri which is a disease that cause increased intracranial pressure and optic nerve issues.

A lot of times an increase in intracranial pressure as well as other neurological diseases can cause optic nerve issues, which is probably why they sent you for a CT scan and are now sending you for an MRI. There are so many different things that can cause this that anyone would be guessing to suggest what is causing these symptoms for you. The neurological issues can also cause numbness, dizziness, and ear problems, like you've described in previous posts. Even if the MRI comes back fine they will probably do other tests such as a lumbar puncture.

Good luck, I hope whatever causing it isn't serious and is easily treated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here