Question: Optic Nerve Hemorrhage?

slw1822 - Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:21 am

I'm very sorry that I couldn't find an eye forum so I figured that this would be the next best place for my question.
I'm a 25 year old female.

I went to the emergency room because I have been having blurry vision. awful dizziness that has been lasting for a week it doesn't just come and go its always there. It feels like the room is constantly spinning. And my right wrist, hand, fore arm, and foot has been numb and weak. The ER doctor sent me to an eye doctor who said that my optic nerve was hemorrhaging, but he wouldn't go into detail because he was busy. Instead he sent me to a neurologist who did a ct scan which came back normal and he is now sending me for an MRI.

My question is what exactly does it mean for the nerves in my eye to be hemorrhaging and how could this be related to my dizziness, numbness, and weakness? Why would the eye doctor send me to a neurologist? I'm too impatient to wait for test results that will more than likely come back normal anyways.

Thank You Very Much.
 CelticLabyrinth - Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:52 am

I'm not a doctor, but I have pseudotumor cerebri which is a disease that cause increased intracranial pressure and optic nerve issues.

A lot of times an increase in intracranial pressure as well as other neurological diseases can cause optic nerve issues, which is probably why they sent you for a CT scan and are now sending you for an MRI. There are so many different things that can cause this that anyone would be guessing to suggest what is causing these symptoms for you. The neurological issues can also cause numbness, dizziness, and ear problems, like you've described in previous posts. Even if the MRI comes back fine they will probably do other tests such as a lumbar puncture.

Good luck, I hope whatever causing it isn't serious and is easily treated.

|