Question: Half body numbness, vision problems and migraines.

Ronnie_ca - Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 pm

I am 30 years old, male. I have this half body numbness, vision problems and migraines since I was 12 years old. It never happened more than once in 6 months period, some times it happens only once in 3 years but rare.
When ever this kind of problem occurs, my whole day and the next gets reserved with pain. Some times it triggers by bright sun shine or a camera flash. My vision starts getting impaired and then I cannot see objects clear (see mostly shadows). Some times it directly triggers by suddenly numbing my right hand fingers (I believe this happened to my left hand side body as well) and then slowly moves to my other right hand side body parts i.e. arm, leg, lip, nose and eye etc. I usually try to sleep so by the time I will wake up I will be start feeling better but it never happened. By the time I wake up after an hour or so, I will be having severe migraine pains on the left hand side of my head. I take Excedrin, Advil, Tylenol or Ibuprofen to get rid of this pain but no help. Some times I stay home and some times my family members take me to the hospital so the doctors can do something for pain but it never helped. I usually get big vomiting too. Another important point is that I cannot even speak correctly, I would be speaking incomplete and wrong words, this starts happening after half of my tongue gets numb and I believe one of the reason in speaking wrong and crazy words is that perhaps half of my brain gets numb as well.
I have never done an MRI but got some other brain scans done including blood test, blood sugar, uric acid and blood pressure etc. but everything looked normal. No past surgeries and family history. Please help me to diagnose this problem. I apologize of writing such a long essay. Thanks a lot.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:27 pm

User avatar Hi Ronnie_ca,

Your symptoms sound very consistent with a complex (also known as atypical) migraine. Treatment for this revolves around treating the migraine and having it get better.

If this begins to happen more frequently you may need to take a medicine to help prevent these attacks. At the frequency you are describing it may be better to try to find a treatment that will ablate the attack rather than prevent them since daily preventative medicines also have side effects.

You may want to talk with a neurologist about this to see if they can recommend a treatment plan better suited for you.

|