Question: Numbness in right fingers.

SSJPabs - Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:33 pm

25/M

I am a law student and amateur author so I type a LOT. I don't always use the "proper" posture as it doesn't effect my typing speed.

Recently I struck my right elbow very hard in what I suspect was a nerve since it didn't "hurt" so much as a weird intense feeling. The next day I began to notice numbness in my right pinkie (small) finger and it has since spread to my right hand ring finger. The fingers also feel slightly swollen. It has been going on for 4-5 days now.

My mother suffered from intense carpal tunnel syndrome and had operations on both wrists.

Is this the first symptoms of carpal tunnel, or is it simply that I hit the nerve in my arm?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:24 pm

User avatar Hi SSJPabs,

The distribution of numbness you are describing does not fit with carpal tunnel syndrome (which involves the median nerve). Instead, it fits much better with an ulnar nerve problem. In addition, it is typically the ulnar nerve that gets hit in the elbow (the funny bone).

I would recommend you see your doctor to have this further evaluated. Trauma that subsequently is causing numbness may be due to swelling and inflammation of the nerve (which will likely improve) or be due to some damage to the nerve (possibly even severing the nerve). In this case it may need more treatment to help heal properly.

|