News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Pain when coughing

CelticLabyrinth - Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:18 pm

I'm a 21 year old female. I have pseudotumor cerebri (possibly in remission?), hypothyroidism, asthma, clotting issues, and some other not so important things. I was hospitalized a year ago for what was described as a hemiplegic migraine after everything else was eliminated. I've also had abnormal spikes on an EEG (I lost my insurance before I could get the more comprehensive 48 hour EEG). I've recently had a virus that triggered my asthma, causing me to cough like crazy. The virus triggered a migraine type of headache for 24 hours. For the last two days whenever I cough I get a very severe pain on the top of the right side of my head. Same exact place every time- and the pain only lasts half a second. Should I be concerned about this? If this virus doesn't clear up I will be going to see my primary care doctor. I've also been seeing crescent shapes and circles around my central vision, it seems to be triggered by how I move my eyes (similiar to transient visual obscursions/TVOs, but a bit shorter). Last time my eyes were dilated the papilledema wasn't visible and my, um, spontaneous venus pulsations were visible and more normal. Aside from the recent headache I haven't had a lot of head pain for the last 6 months or so. I can't afford to see a neurologist or a neuro-opth right now unless the county health clinic finds one for me.

Thank-you for your time!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:12 pm

User avatar Hi CelticLabyrinth,

When you cough you are likely increasing your intracranial pressure (a known occurrence with coughing). If you have an irritated or inflamed area in the blood vessels or lining of the brain the coughing may be stimulating this area and causing the pain. The virus may have caused this area of irritation, in which case it will likely improve.

If it doesn't improve I would suggest you see your general doctor for an evaluation. When you are able, seeing a neurologist will be important to follow up on some of your other issues.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here