News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: 9-month old involuntary winking and nodding

jnetti - Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:31 pm

My friends have a beautiful little girl. She is now 9 months old and in the last 2 weeks her parents have noticed some oddities. These oddities are: involuntary winking of both eyes (sometimes 2 to 3 in a row) sometimes coupled with a mild head nod forward. She seems completely unaware of these as she continues to play and interact. I have personally seen several of them in one day. I counted 17 winking/nodding incidents while her mother was feeding her within a 25 minute period. Again, she remained unaware. I counted 6 winking/nodding incidents within 5 minutes after she had napped with her mother and again she remained unaware that these were happening. She does not cry or show any other sign that these are bothering her. She has met most of her developmental milestones at this time. She is actually progressing moderately ahead of her age group. She is a pretty engaging toddler. My friends likened it to a cold chill. They are very bent out of shape about this and are taking her in for a possible EEG. They have heard that these incidents are fairly common (normal, per some statements) in this age group. Is this the case and what's the prognosis? I work for the Epilepsy Foundation so I can't help but be very worried for them.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:58 am

User avatar Hi Jnetti,

These movements may simply be developmental issues that will resolve over time. They may also be automatisms which can represent complex partial seizures.

Having the infant see a neurologist is a good idea to help determine if more investigation is needed or if this is simply a developmental issue.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here