Question: vegus nerve

susieQ1 - Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:55 am

Would this nerve be under Neurology? If not, which specialty? My question is: I have a sensitive VN & when I have colon pain or pressure I get weak, sweat, & pass out until the pain subsides, sometimes several min. I understand it can be dangerous now that I am a senior. Is there any treatment for this & what kind of dr should I see. I've seem cardiologist & had usual test & my heart is strong until this happens. It takes longer for me to recover after each episode. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:29 am

User avatar Hi SusieQ1,

Seeing a neurologist is a reasonable approach to this. You may also want to talk to your cardiologist about having a tilt-table test.

The tilt-table test is a test where you start laying flat on a table. The heart monitor is hooked up. Slowly the table is raised to vertical. If this causes you to pass out it is due to a response between the heart and nerves of the heart. Basically, the heart should speed up when standing to compensate for gravity until the blood vessels can tighten up. In some people the nerve fibers in the heart sense this speeding up and "think" the heart is going too fast so they slow it down. When the heart is slowed down it cannot compensate enough so not enough blood flow goes to the brain and the person passes out. It can be treated with a beta-blocker to blunt the rapid increase in heart rate and keep the nerve fibers happy.

|