Question: Right L2 cut, abdominal paralysis possible?

caglemedic - Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:56 pm

Three years ago at the age of 29, I had a retroperitoneal schwannoma on my L2 right nerve root. I had a resection, but my internal oblique and rectos abdominal muscles appear to be parallelized. Is this possible? The doctors are at a loss due to the rarity of the tumor and the complications there after. I had to have a surgery to repair my right abdominal wall, my internal oblique was ripped apart and the obloquies appeared atrophied. Now on cat scans my right side appears atrophied. I was a vibrant 29 year old paramedic and now I am heading towards disability. I have gained a lot of weight but I need to know if there are any doctors that might be able to help. Please help, if you know any doctors that specialize in retroperitoneal schwannoma and complications after surgery, let me know. Thank you.
32 yo fe
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:44 am

User avatar Hi Caglemedic,

The internal oblique muscle is innervated by the lower intercostal nerves down to L1 (the nerve root of the ilioinguinal nerve). It does not get any innervation from L2 unless there is some variation in your body (which does occur though not commonly).

The lower rectus abdominus muscles do pick up some innervation from L2 so damage to that nerve root could cause problems.

I would recommend you see a neurosurgeon for further evaluation of this. I'm not sure all your symptoms are well explained by damage to the L2 nerve root.

|