Question: MS symptoms ??

steve265007 - Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:56 pm

44yrs male from UK on no medication and no known previous medical problems. I have not sought medical advice for these symptoms although I know I should.

I can recal a small numb patch approx 2" dia just above both knees some 10-15yrs ago. This numb patch never did go away and has been permanant ever since, because it did not cause any discomfort I did nothing about it. The size of this patch has grown to cover most of the front and outer part of each thigh now, I guess 'loss of sensation' may describe it better, I cannot feel hot/cold in these areas nor a pin prick. There are also certain areas below the knee (shin) where I can not feel a pin prick even though I do not have any obvious loss of sensation or numbess that I am aware of in that area.

Other possible MS type syptoms include burning and creepy crawlies in the legs. occassional (daily) leg muscle aches as though I have run a marathon, back ache that does not feel like back ache, more like stiffness, If I try to put socks or shoes on without sitting my back does not ache but is not flexable enough to get into an appropraite position. Vey poor joint pain (first started about 5yrs) ago in hands and fingers, carving a joint of meat is not poss and holding some items causes much joint pain after a few mins in knuckles, fingers and forearms. I did have an issue last year where I could not lift up a full glass of water due to arthritic type pain in my forearm, this lasted about a month, the went away. Ocassional Headaches (daily) but short lasting - minutes only, Tiredness from mid afternoon and getting worse as the day progresses. Occasional milky vision. Worsening of hand writing. Also got a very dry mouth most of the day.

However I have no mobility issues

I weigh 16 stone so I need to lose some weight and I have read that excessive weight can cause leg numbness but surely that would not create the other problems too. Our family does also have a history of Diabetes but I was checked for that recently and that was negaitve

Cheers for any advice
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:23 pm

User avatar Hi there,

I think you need to be properly assessed by a neurologist. A full neuro exam would enable your doctor to determine if there is a need for further investigation.

Though nothing can be ruled out, your discription is not fit the 'classical' case of multiple sclerosis (MS).

MS usually presents with episodic neurological deficits that tend to get better with time and then reappear as a different neurological deficit. Classically it is diagnosed as two clinical deficits seperated by time and space (i.e. appear in a different part of the body) and supported with radiologic and lab evidence of the disease.

What you are describing is a progressive loss of sensation in a single nerve. This must be verified by an examination. Please visit a neurologist and update this thread.

steve265007 - Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi Dr Fouad

Thank you for your response. I have made a neuro appointment but i have a six week wait.

I have been thinking MS for about 12 months now and had probably accepted that this was the problem, so i am encouraged that you feel this may not be the case.

Is it possible that you could outline possible reasons or causes that may have damaged this nerve? I cannot recall any accidents or falls that have happened. Also is it possible that the joint pain i feel in my fingers/hands and the muscle aches in my legs are connented to the numb legs? other than the numb legs all other ailments are intermittent.

Thanks again

|