Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Morning headaches

Zeek82 - Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:57 am

Hi. I am a 25 year old woman who has for the past week been woken up in the morning with a sudden migraine. I do have a history of migraines, but they are always related to either food or stress triggers, and are not tied to any part of the day. No one else in my family has had this sort of thing, I've had no surgeries, and currently I take hypothyroidism medicine and vitamins as part of my daily regime.

These headaches are medium bad, and I've already taken the maximum dose this week of my migraine medicine. Last night, also, when I went to bed I felt like I could hear and feel my heartbeat. It was loud and uncomfortable, and sounded like it was coming from my neck - if that makes any sense. I'm a fairly fit person - I bike about 10 miles a day - so my heart thumping seemed odd, as I hadn't done anything that strenuous. Any idea what this could be about?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:00 pm

It would be hard to tell obviously without a careful assessment. To answer your question: headaches that are worse in the morning are commonly depression and hangover headaches. Cluster headache also causes morning headaches but these usually wake the patient from sleep.

Palpitations on the other hand may reflect anything from anxiety to a change in the heart's rate, volume of output, or more commonly, rhythm. Also anything that can lead to a change of rhythm can obviously lead to palpitations - so diseases such as thyrotoxicosis or pheochromocytoma can also lead to this picture. Please understand the limitations of internet communication in assessment of any medical presentation.

More commonly the cause of your symptoms would be something a lot more benign and may even be self limited. I only mention the more alarming causes to convince you that there is no replacement to a proper direct assessment by your doctor.

Zeek82 - Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:40 pm

Thanks for the info doctor.

I never drink and am not depressed, so I think would rule out the first two options. Cluster headaches are a possibility - my sister suffers from them - and these are waking me up. I was up three times last night to take medicine. But I thought that cluster headaches were more severe. These aren't horrible as far as my migraines go, just sort of middling.

Also, I had read that morning headaches may be linked to high blood pressure, so I went out and had mine measured. It was 54/100, which I assume is on the low side.

I'm thinking perhaps the headaches are linked to undiagnosed sleep apnea of something of the sort. My tonsils are constantly swollen and I wake up many times in the night as it is. Now I'm having morning headaches, which I read are also linked to sleep apnea. As per your recommendation, I'll be seeing a doctor this week. Thanks for your time.

|