News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: unsure of the next step in care

elemental - Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:17 pm

for over four years my 32 year old girlfriend has been experiencing these symptoms: dizziness, numbness that started on the right side of her face and now extends through the entire right half of her body, expressive aphasia (at times), disorientation, problems with movement. she had an issue where i took her to the er where she was having visual problems. initial diagnosis was absence seizures and she was put on depakote. she hated it but the dr kept her on for over a year. his superior said he was wrong and stepped her off. we moved to a different state. new neurologist only addressed the migraines she had since she was young and did nothing of the other symptoms. put her on topamax. she had a horrible experience and asked to be taken off. he told her just to stop she asked to be stepped off he told her no, just stop taking it youll be fine. since then she has had extreme anxiety and depression problems. she has extensive family history of rhuematoid arthritis and diabetes. she has polymorphous light eruption, swollen & painful joints and has also had problems with scleritis. i'm not sure what the next step should be in getting a diagnosis and treatment.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:33 am

User avatar Hi Elemental,

I would recommend your girlfriend be evaluated by a neurologist in your new area. These symptoms may be due to complex migraines, seizures or possibly an issue with poor oxygenation of the brain (this is pretty unlikely).

She may need some further testing such as an EEG.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here