Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headache behind right eye extending to neck.

jumpnshout5 - Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Hello. I am a 21 year old female who is in need of some advice for my headaches. A few months ago I started developing really bad headaches while I was at work. I tried over the counter pain relievers with little luck. I started wearing my glasses full time (I am only required to use them when I drive). I also cut down my caffeine intake while drinking more water, in case the headaches were do to dehydration. Nothing seemed to work. I currently wake up with headaches everyday, although they are much less severe now. My problem is, I was woken up around 3 am last night with a severe pain above my right brow bone that instantly spread to the top of my head. The pain then quickly traveled down in front of my ear and into my neck. The pain started to dull shortly. Within 15-20 minutes, the pain seemed to be just a normal headache. I also started to notice a tingling needle-like feeling on the right side of the back of my head. It started to travel around the back of my head and formed a "band" type shape across the back of my head. I did check the my pupils to make sure they would dilate/constrict properly, which they did. I don't have any nausea or marked dizziness with my headaches usually. The only medication I am taking is Mobic for arthritis. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:46 pm

User avatar Hi Jumpnshout5,

These headaches may be a variation of a migraine. The one concerning issue is that the headache is present when you wake up and has awoken you from sleep. This is a little unusual for a migraine so I would suggest that you see your doctor to have a thorough neurological examination performed.

If it is felt that these are, in fact, migraines you may want to talk to your doctor about trying a preventative medicine to keep you from getting these headaches so often.

Also, continue to look for triggers to these headaches if you can. Look for foods you've eaten recently, activities you were doing in the immediate time before the headache, etc.

|