News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Dull, transient aches in left temple

det - Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:50 pm

hi,

i'm an otherwise healthy male, but lately, i've been having these dull aches in my left temple that happen spontaneously and which last for perhaps 5 seconds each. the frequency varies: at times, there are a number of such 5 sec aches that occur consecutively, and at other times it's just one, and the next one appears perhaps 5 minutes later. the episodes happen perhaps a 1-3 times a day.

i wasn't able to find information on these symptoms here, so i would appreciate your input on what this could be and possible remedies

thanks very much, i'd greatly appreciate a response
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:31 pm

User avatar Hi Det,

These may be muscle spasms. Spasms can occur more frequently when potassium or calcium levels are low. Making sure to eat a healthy diet to get enough of these vitamins is important.

If these persist I would suggest you see your doctor to have them evaluated.

Best wishes.
 det - Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:40 pm

thank you for your response, doctor.

i have, on occasion, experienced muscle spasms before, but in this case, i do not feel a throbbing or a muscle actually vibrating. also, i was not aware that muscle spasms can be accompanied with this kind of brief, localized pain. is there any possibility that this could related to some kind of headache?

thank you very much
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:54 pm

User avatar Hi again,

It doesn't really fit a specific headache that I can think of. This certainly doesn't mean that it can't be this. The area you describe is classic for tension headaches but it would be a little unusual for a tension headache to just be on one side.

A migraine is well known to cause a one-sided headache but migraines don't generally resolve so rapidly.

If I had to commit to a headache I would say a tension type headache is most likely.

Best wishes.
 det - Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:56 pm

thank you again, doctor.

i'm sorry for the third post, but i promise i'll try not to bother you again!

i get the feeling this is more of a headache. if it truly is that, can i please ask what treatment you would recommend? would it be just the standard ibuprofen, tylenol?

i only ask because i'm in my early twenties, in school, and not experiencing any major life-threatening tension/stress situations. sure, i've been better before psychologically, but i have never experienced this kind of headache before. again, the aches are mild-to-moderate and have been occurring sporadically lately. i'd appreciate your thoughts

thank you for your time

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here