Question: Severe leg pain + wasting. Nerve problem?

couch - Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:41 am

I'm a 62 year old male. Three years ago I saw discolouration on my feet, and felt a numbness in my toes. This has progressed to severe pain in my legs (all the way up to my hip). I have difficulty walking, sitting, standing, balancing, etc. I am always in pain. I have noticed my legs becoming thinner and weaker and muscle wasting has been noted for all of my legs (including the butt).

I had on and off lower back pain for many years, as I was a farmer and I did a lot of hard work. However, I have been told that my current problems in my legs is not related to this (but I thought you should know).

I have had a number of MRIs and xrays to my back and currently had a spinal angiogram. I have also had a brain scan. I have done many nerve tests and one specialist has said that there are problems with the nerves to the legs but it is not known how the problem has come about, exactly where the problem is or why I have the problem. I have seen many doctors and specialists and nobody knows why I have severe pain and weakness in my legs.

I have not had any past or current surgeries, no past diagnoses or any family history of such a condition. I am not taking any medication and I am just living with the pain. The specialists have only offered rehabilitation in the form of physiotherapy, which I have yet to start, and I do not believe this is a significant solution to the problem I have.

If any more information is needed (i.e. if I have left something out), just ask me and I will add it. I believe this is a nerve problem.

I need someone to help me. I would really appreciate it.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:26 am

User avatar Hi Couch,

This certainly does sound like a nerve problem. When nerves become damaged the muscles they supply often begin to atrophy (waste away). Muscle mass depends on nerve stimulation for its maintenance.

Given that it is involving the entire leg the issue must be fairly high, possibly even where the nerves leave the spinal cord or shortly after. Any higher than this and more involvement would begin to be expected.

Seeing a neurologist to continue to evaluate this is important. Determining the cause will help decide how to best treat the issue.

|