Question: neurotin: occasional use for trigeminal neuralgia

frenchy - Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:38 am

Hello. I occasionally experience MS related Trigeminal Neuralgia. sometimes it lasts for months, and I follow a prescribed regimen of Neurotin that helps quite a bit. Sometimes my attacks are very short-lived; a few days at the most. Long story short, I try to stay off medications as much as i can. I would like to know, is it okay for me to take Neurontin short term, for example, one 400 mg pill two times a day for two days? I have done this in the past with success in managing the pain, but i've read that occasional use is dangerous...without seeing any explanations as to why. Any help would be much appreciated! I live in a foreign country, and it is very hard for me to see my doctor regularly. I am a 40 year old female, diagnosed with MS two years ago, no surgeries, no family history of disease, take Rivotril from time to time. All the best.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:08 am

User avatar Hello Frenchy,

Neurontin is often a very good medication for nerve pain. It often works best when taken steadily and achieves full effect after building up a little.

The concern about starting and stopping rapidly is that this can increase the risk of side effects, which include drowsiness, vision changes, tremors, emotional swings, and thought disorders.

It is important to let your doctor know how you are taking your medications so your healthcare team is aware of any issues that may develop.

|