Question: head and lypmp node problems on left side of head only

Dallas girl - Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:19 pm

I am a 43 yr old woman. I had a hysterectomy on 10/23/07. I was originally scheduled for surgery on 10/16. The week before, I had an ulcer develop in my mouth. About 4 days later, the lymph nodes around my left jaw line swelled up. The nurse practitioner assumed they were related and gave me 1500 mg of an anti-viral. The day of surgery, 10/23, the swelling in my left jaw line had still not gone down all the way. The night after surgery, I started having pressure in the lower left side of the back of my head. As the days went on, I would also experience dull head aches for many hours, numbness, diziness at times all in that same area only. I would also have pressure behind my left eye only, and pressure at times deep down in my left ear. My Dr has done blood work for mumps & an amaelaize enzyme test as he suspects this is an infection. Mumps was negative, Enzyme test not back. He also put me on steroid to take the lymph node swelling down. It didn't work. I was then put on 5 day z pack. Didn't do anything. On a few occassions, my left arm feels like it was trying to go numb. I just had both a CAT scan and MRI done Sat. They were looking at the brain and the lymph nodes. The Dr that views the scans is oot till Tues, so I won't have results until then. Sat night I had a very scary incodent. I went out to dinner for the first time in weeks. I had 2 margaritas w/ dinner. I woke up at 4:00 am w/ migrane type head-ache just in that lower back left side of my head. I took a prescrition Alieve. After almost an hr, it got better and I laid down and rolled over on my left side. My eyes immediately started jerking rapidly and uncontrollably from left to right. All I could see were the blinds in my room moving rapidly from left to right. I quickly rolled back on my back. The rapid movement subsided pretty quickly. A few minutes later, I rolled on my left side again, and the same thing happened. I could not get out of bed yesterday until 2:00. b/c my regular symptoms in that area seemed 5 times worse. I don't know if this is something neurological or if I should see an endocronologist or ENT. It has gone on for 5 weeks now and I am very scared. Can neurology problems efffect the lymph nodes? I don't want to assume these are related. Could I maybe have 2 things going on at the same time? I did talk to the anesthesiologist 4 weeks after surgery and he confirmed that this was not a result of my general anesthesia. He suggested I see a Neurologist or ENT. I am very concerned and nervous. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm

User avatar Hi Dallas Girl,

I suspect that your headache and the eye twitching are unrelated to the lymph nodes. Your eye twitching and headache may be due to a complex migraine. A seizure is unlikely since it stopped as soon as you turned your head.

One possible way to connect the two is that you have a viral infection causing the lymph nodes to swell and infecting the balance center of the brain (in the ear). This can cause the eye to beat fast because of the sensation that the body is turning due to the infection.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

|