News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: tremors in newborn

marmax - Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:27 pm

I have a 2 week old son who has developed tremors in his left leg which then seem to go up to his left arm and hand. They also occur in his right leg but never his right arm. The tremors only occur if he is lying on his back kicking with his nappy off mostly. They never occur when he is sleeping or breastfeeding or lying on his tummy. They seem to get worse the more tired he is. I had a normal vaginal delivery with an epidural and baby wasnt distressed at all. His apgar score was 9. I have seen my GP who says she thinks he is a normal healthy baby but to keep an eye out if it gets worse and then she will refer him on for more tests. My mind is running wild and Im really worried. Is this normal behaviour in a 2 week old? Have you any suggestions as to what it might be and should I wait or get another opinion. Any help or information would be much appreciated
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:47 pm

User avatar Hello,
Of course you are worried about your newborn. Tremors can definitely be present in normal, healthy babies and without other symptoms of concern or risk factors such as drugs, prematurity, birth trauma, etc. I would agree with your doctor and just watch for other problems. Try not to worry too much since there's probably nothing to be done anyway and some disorders do not show up right away. If the baby is nursing well and doing everything else as he should (excreting, etc.) he is probably fine.

Best wishes.
 marmax - Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:06 am

Hi Debbie

Thankyou for your reply. I will try and convince myself that there is nothing wrong but still look out for any other symptons. He is latching on well with a good suction and is gaining weight and doing everything else he should.He does have alot of bowel motions a day but have been told that is normal for a breastfed baby .He startles to noise and Im sure he can see.
I see my GP again when he is six weeks. He can lye and kick on the floor normally for awhile before the tremor starts which usually last approx 20seconds unless I put my hand on his leg and they stop immediately. Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply and giving me some reassurance

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here