News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: burning hands and feet

chochmeh1 - Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:24 am

Hi,
i am a 50 year old female of good health, but,i have been having problems with burning sensations on soles of feet and palms of hands...i also have pin's and needles and numbness sensations on arms and legs...i have awoken with severe muscle cramping in calves and triceps along with burning sensations and sharp fleeting pains in my torso and left side of face as well. i also have a strange buzzing in left leg...this has been going on for two weeks, but the burning and pins and needles started later and progressing in intensity...i don't know if this is related but i am suffering also from sore throat and long congestion. i feel prickly all over my body, but skin is not red and i am greatly fatigued and have had been under terrific stress lately...

i have recently been diagnosed with a "non-alignment" pituitary adenoma...i have had MRI's and blood checks recently and everything is normal except that i also have thyroid nodules but thyroid levels ok...in the past i have suffered from raynauds of fingers and toes...this came on with asthma when i was 26...i am going to see an endocrinologist and family doctor soon...any help would be appreciated
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:17 pm

User avatar Hi Chochmeh1,

I would recommend you see a neurologist about this. This type of symptoms may be due to a peripheral nerve problem. A problem in the brain or spine would be very unlikely to cause problems in just the hands and feet. The areas are too far apart to be affected by a single issue. However, a peripheral problem often will begin in the hands and feet.

Follow up with your doctor is important to help figure this out. Also having your electrolytes tested may be helpful since they occasionally can cause similar symptoms if they are abnormal.

Best wishes.
 boot2aboot - Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Thank you Dr Chan,
You were right on target...EMG showed Large MUPS and slow CMAP on peronial (sp)nerves of legs...MRI was Degenerative Disc Disease...Peripheral neuropathy -maybe due to impingment...i had no idea that PN could cause constant twitches, muscle cramp and exercise fatigue...i think he has run every test in the book on me so far...and for the record, i'll take PN over ALS/MS any day.
i am hoping that the cymbalta he prescriped for me takes the cramping pain/burning away from me...

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here