Question: Numbness left side of body

Craig - Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi I am a 48 y/o male. Dx with high bp, Sugeries I have had were carpel tunnel (right and left 9 years ago) and surgery to set broken arm (childhood).
The other day at work my left side of my face went numb and tingling, then I noticed my left hand felt as if it was falling asleep, and when I walked I noticed the same in my leg and foot. I then felt as if i was going to collaspe. I work in hospital so with the help of a co-worker I went to the Emrgency Room. Was hooked up to the standard monitoring equpment, had an ekg, asked a series of questions, had to perform some motor tests. Oh my initial Blood pressure upon arriving was 198 0ver 124. During the course of three hours this went down to 157 0ver 88. I had no sign of slurred speech, blurry vision, or headache. EKG was fine. The doctor said they could do a cat scan, but from my exam felt it would not show anything. I am not big on taking my bp medicine (which I will be doing now..was scared). I was and still concerned as I am still numb. I don't have the best diet also. I asked if I was to go home get back on my bp med and see my physician first thing this week if he thought i would end up being wheeled back into the hospital. He assured me that in his opinion i wasn't having a stroke or having signs of a stroke based on what he saw. I am still nervous and scared. I am still numb on my left side, but have no trouble walking, moving, or talking. If it isn't a stroke what could be causing this?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:22 pm

User avatar Hi Craig,

It was very appropriate for you to be evaluated for a stroke. It sounds like all the testing showed this not to be the case; however, high blood pressure is known as the silent killer for a reason. Most people with high blood pressure feel fine so the temptation is not to take the blood pressure medicine. Then, the effects of the hypertension slowly build until something severe happens.

This numbness may or may not be related to your hypertension. I would recommend that you see a neurologist. I think further evaluation, including possibly an MRI, may be in order. Numbness of the entire left side of the body is concerning for something going on in the brain, be it a stroke or possibly something like multiple sclerosis.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

Craig - Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:39 pm

Thank you I saw my primaty phycisian and my bp is now been controlled and average 122 over 78 with meds. Doc did an MRI and I will be seeing a neurologist as it showed a lucunar Infarct. Needless to say in addiction to my bp meds i am making some complerte lifestyle changes with diet, excersize, and stopping smoking. It is a shame that we wait till something happens to be the motivation. Hopefully over time my numbness will subside to a degree. Thanks for your answer.

craig

|