Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Horrible headache, HELP!

mchar2008 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:07 pm

Hello, my name is Mistie and im 18 years old. For the past 5 days i have had a persisant headache and it wont go away. Ive treid everything from over the counter to off the shelf perscrptions. Nothing is helping. The only time that my headaches worsen are when i am standing up or walking. When i am laying down i feel great. No one in my family has ever had something like this so this concerns not only them but myself as well.
I looked online about all types of headaches and i have symptoms for most of them. The one thing that everyone is concerned about is that im not eating as well as i should. But when i eat to much i throw it right back up. Other than that i don't have an appetite to eat. I eat maybe once a day. I eat Breakfast that is it. Could my headache be from not eating. Could it be stress, depression? No one knows.
I would like to kno because this is affecting me in many ways. I cant go to school or work. I want to get better but i don't know what to do. Should i see ym doctor again or get a prescription for an MRI or CAT scan?
Please HELP me..
Thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:27 pm

User avatar Hi Mistie,

There is a very good chance you have a migraine headache. However, with headaches that are worse when standing and better with laying this suggests a pressure problem in the brain. The pressure is increased upon standing making the pain worse.

I would recommend you see your doctor for a full neurological evaluation. If there is concern, further imaging studies (like a CT or MRI) may be appropriate.

|