News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: erratic brain movement

boon69ca - Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:53 pm

Hello, I am a 39 year old male. dilantin used during my adolecance till I was 12 for grand mal seizures.
My daughter of 3 also has erratic brain movement, which made my doctor feel I needed another EEG.
The results say that my left side of my brain doesn't know the difference if I am awake or asleep, and also when hyperventilating goes all out of whack. The doctor wants me to go for a CAT scan ASAP, and mentioned to myself and my wife of tumours. I have no odd effects going on, ie. numbness, loss of vision or speech headaches, nothing. should I be concerned? I have always had very erratic readings on the EEG, even as a child. I was a heavy drinker as a younger man, but have not indulged in drugs or alcohol for a minimum of 11 years, I do not smoke or drink coffee, healthy as of the last physical. I only take advil.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 am

User avatar Hi Boon69ca,

If I am understanding you correctly, the reason you had this recent EEG is because your daughter had symptoms but you did not. Some epileptic conditions are hereditary so this is not too surprising.

Your EEG results show a focal area of abnormality. When there is a focal issue on the EEG it is recommended to have some imaging studies. I would actually suggest you ask your doctor about having an MRI instead of a CT scan. The MRI will give much better pictures and is generally preferred because of it.

Since you had a seizure issue when you were younger and have had no symptoms since it is unlikely that this is due to a tumor. However, a tumor is in the list of possibilities with focal findings on an EEG. Having an imaging study will help put everyone's mind at ease.

I would recommend you talk with your doctor about the MRI vs. a CT scan though. There may be a specific reason your doctor wants a CT scan that I'm not aware of.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here