Question: erratic brain movement

boon69ca - Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:53 pm

Hello, I am a 39 year old male. dilantin used during my adolecance till I was 12 for grand mal seizures.
My daughter of 3 also has erratic brain movement, which made my doctor feel I needed another EEG.
The results say that my left side of my brain doesn't know the difference if I am awake or asleep, and also when hyperventilating goes all out of whack. The doctor wants me to go for a CAT scan ASAP, and mentioned to myself and my wife of tumours. I have no odd effects going on, ie. numbness, loss of vision or speech headaches, nothing. should I be concerned? I have always had very erratic readings on the EEG, even as a child. I was a heavy drinker as a younger man, but have not indulged in drugs or alcohol for a minimum of 11 years, I do not smoke or drink coffee, healthy as of the last physical. I only take advil.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 am

User avatar Hi Boon69ca,

If I am understanding you correctly, the reason you had this recent EEG is because your daughter had symptoms but you did not. Some epileptic conditions are hereditary so this is not too surprising.

Your EEG results show a focal area of abnormality. When there is a focal issue on the EEG it is recommended to have some imaging studies. I would actually suggest you ask your doctor about having an MRI instead of a CT scan. The MRI will give much better pictures and is generally preferred because of it.

Since you had a seizure issue when you were younger and have had no symptoms since it is unlikely that this is due to a tumor. However, a tumor is in the list of possibilities with focal findings on an EEG. Having an imaging study will help put everyone's mind at ease.

I would recommend you talk with your doctor about the MRI vs. a CT scan though. There may be a specific reason your doctor wants a CT scan that I'm not aware of.

|