News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Seizures, but why?

b_man - Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:17 am

Im a 23 male and I have had 4 seizures since my first one when I was in high school in 2002. I recently had my 4th one in may of this year and thus has been the second time I have been to a nurologist. They cannot however find the reason for these seizures. Why is this? They have me on Phenytoin to keep me from having more, but it is so expensive I can hardly pay my bills. It also screws with my head, making me hear things and see things that are not really there. My uncle on my fathers side had a seizure last year and it turned out to be a tumor the size of a golf ball. Do I have anything to be worried about? I just want to know why this happens to me, I know that you cannot give me a perfect diagnosis, but maybe you can lead me in the right direction since everyone else seems to be pointing me in circles.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:56 pm

User avatar Hi B_man,

There are many causes for seizures and, unfortunately, tumors are one of them. This, however, is actually an uncommon cause of seizures overall.

Most commonly, recurrent seizures are termed epilepsy. One definition of epilepsy is recurrent seizures of unknown origin. So, most commonly, there is no specific cause found.

It is recommended that anyone with epilepsy have an MRI at some point. This will allow the issue of tumors to be assessed for as well as look for any structural abnormalities that may be causing the seizures.

If the phenytoin is causing you difficulties I would recommend you talk with your doctor. There are a few other anti-seizure medicines that may be appropriate for you and cause less side effects.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here