Question: Neupro

JKF - Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm

I have had essential tremors for years but my tremors became much worse. walking became more difficult so my neurologist has put me on Neupro and it si really helping. My doctor hasnt told me if I have Parkinsons or not but since Neupro is for people who have beginning Parkinsons is it likely I have Parkinsons?. I am also scheduled for an MRI next week Thank you. JKF
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:17 pm

User avatar Hi JKF,

The classic presentation of Parkinson's disease is a tremor when resting that improves when the muscle is used. (For example, the fingers have a tremor when not in use but it gets better when picking something up.) Certainly there are exceptions to this but a resting tremor really is the hallmark of Parkinson's.

If your tremor is only present when the muscles are active it is less likely to be Parkinson's. Many medicines that are for tremor will help most kinds of tremor, not just one.

Follow up with your neurologist is important.

JKF - Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:40 am

It may seem strange but I have the tremor at rest and when I use my hands. The tremor at rest is something that is more recent than the other. JKF

|