Forum Name: Headaches

Question: migraine that causes urination

megrim - Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:00 am

I'm a 20 y/o male. I have had migraines all my life, likely inherited from my mother. I have learned to deal with them very well. I stopped using pain killers a while back in an effort to better understand what causes them and how to get rid of them. For the most part I am successful.

The reason I am here is because I have a symptom that I have never heard of anywhere. When I get migraines I often have to urinate excessively. For example, I had a migraine today and went to urinate about 7-8 times in about 6 hours. The irony is that dehydration is often a factor in the severity of my migraines. I try to drink water but it just comes straight out; the urine looks completely clear. Any ideas as to what might cause this?

other info:
I'm generally very healthy. I get lots of exercise and have a good, balanced diet.

Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:56 pm

User avatar Hi Megrim,

Complex migraines can have effects other than pain. It may be that the area your migraine is affecting controls the release of the water regulatory hormones of the body.

You may want to discuss this with a neurologist. I suspect that really the thing to do is try to treat the migraine to get it to go away and this is not a particularly dangerous issue as long you can keep from getting too dehydrated.

megrim - Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:18 pm

Hormone regulation. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the reply!

|