Question: Alheimers and TIA's......related?

Shamrock - Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:16 pm

My Dad is in the late stages of Alzheimer's disease. He is physically healthy. He is beginning to have TIA's now. Are they specifically related to the Alzheimer's, or is this just something that is normally happening to him not related to Alzheimer's? He also has drastic mood changes prior to the TIA. He's normally not violent (I know this happens with Alzheimer's as well), but he seems to have a violent fit prior to a TIA. Is this a symptom of the pending TIA?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:53 pm

User avatar Hi Shamrock,

To my knowledge, TIA's are not associated with Alzheimer's; however, I am not certain about this. The violent outbursts may be related to the Alzheimers but given their temporal relationship to the TIA's it is quite possible that these are the herald symptom of the TIA starting-similar to an aura of a seizure.

TIA's are often a warning of an impending stroke so I would suggest your father see his doctor for an evaluation to see if further treatment or exams are needed.

Shamrock - Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:11 am

Thank you, Doctor Lowe. I do know that the TIA's are normally a warning sign of a stronger, larger stroke and have advised my Mom of this. My Dad has had his yearly physical very recently, cholesterol checked, carotid arteries checked, etc., all is well, but yet we wait. I have some medical training, but just didn't know if anyone had connected the TIA's to Alzheimer's at this point yet or not. I do believe they are connected. Frustrating and helpess would be the best words to describe this. Thank you again for your help.

|