News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: friends slow?

ryu2c2000 - Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:51 pm

my friend is 19years old

hi ok where do i start umm sorry my english gramar sucks so bare with me. ok i want to merry this girl and have kids but here is the part where i am scared of... her brother is some what i should say "slow" he communicates with me good he has studdering problem and is really really shy.. idk what kind of disease or problem this is but only he has it and he's 2 sisters don't. Now my question is if i were to merry this girl will my kids be like that to :(? and i don't want to ask her parents how is this kid like this and who on you're family side is like this which i don't think any 1 from her family side is like that but then again i could be wrong idk how this kid came out to be like this and 1 more thing he used to get maid fun of alot when he was a child so does that have to do with anything maybe? again hes 2 sistes and the 1 sister that i want to merry i am afraid to because i don't want to go through such a thing seeing my kid is slow :(? what should ii do.. thanks for any help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:52 pm

User avatar Hi Ryu2c2000,

Most causes of mental retardation are ultimately unknown. In these cases it probably, emphasis on probably, isn't hereditary.

However, one of the more common known causes of mental retardation is a condition called fragile X syndrome. In this case, the condition is carried on the X chromosome. Because of this, boys who get the affected chromosome will have the syndrome and generally have some degree of mental retardation. Girls, who have 2 X chromosomes, may not show the deficit with only one affected chromosome. These girls are called carriers.

Carriers who have children will have a fifty/fifty chance of having affected boys.

There are some other hereditary syndromes that are not sex chromosome associated. These syndrome will vary in their odds of transmission.

I hope this helps some.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here