Question: friends slow?

ryu2c2000 - Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:51 pm

my friend is 19years old

hi ok where do i start umm sorry my english gramar sucks so bare with me. ok i want to merry this girl and have kids but here is the part where i am scared of... her brother is some what i should say "slow" he communicates with me good he has studdering problem and is really really shy.. idk what kind of disease or problem this is but only he has it and he's 2 sisters don't. Now my question is if i were to merry this girl will my kids be like that to :(? and i don't want to ask her parents how is this kid like this and who on you're family side is like this which i don't think any 1 from her family side is like that but then again i could be wrong idk how this kid came out to be like this and 1 more thing he used to get maid fun of alot when he was a child so does that have to do with anything maybe? again hes 2 sistes and the 1 sister that i want to merry i am afraid to because i don't want to go through such a thing seeing my kid is slow :(? what should ii do.. thanks for any help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:52 pm

User avatar Hi Ryu2c2000,

Most causes of mental retardation are ultimately unknown. In these cases it probably, emphasis on probably, isn't hereditary.

However, one of the more common known causes of mental retardation is a condition called fragile X syndrome. In this case, the condition is carried on the X chromosome. Because of this, boys who get the affected chromosome will have the syndrome and generally have some degree of mental retardation. Girls, who have 2 X chromosomes, may not show the deficit with only one affected chromosome. These girls are called carriers.

Carriers who have children will have a fifty/fifty chance of having affected boys.

There are some other hereditary syndromes that are not sex chromosome associated. These syndrome will vary in their odds of transmission.

I hope this helps some.

|