News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Nerve damage due to trauma

LynniePie2 - Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:05 pm

I am losing hope and am confused. I had an accident 8 months ago and had surgery to repair torn artery at the elbow. Later we realized that the median nerve was damaged since I had severe pain in hand and fingers. Had EMG and Neuro said he didn't think I needed surgery and that it would take a long time,but would get better, one inch per month. Luckily Lyrica is covering up my severe pain. Now they are saying that "maybe it will, maybe it won't get better depending on severity of damage". I don't understand. Shouldn't I have had surgery if the damage was bad enough? If it isn't bad enough shouldn't it get better? I heard that I only have 18 months for any regeneration to take place so I am getting worried that I need to act.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:29 pm

User avatar Hi LynniePie2,

Nerve damage can be very difficult. Surgery often is only indicated in a few situations. Nerve regeneration is quite slow. I'm not sure that the 18 month limit is a definite cut off. There may still be a possibility of further healing that can occur. Unfortunately, this is a little outside my specialty so I can't say for sure.

I would suggest you see the neurologist again to discuss your symptoms and see if there are any other treatments that may help stimulate recovery.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here