News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Vertigo

6429466 - Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:29 pm

I recently had an ear infection, about 2 weeks ago (I'm not sure which type of ear infection.). Today, I have come down with severe vertigo and extreme dizziness. The room starts to spin when i stand, when I lay, when I sit, when I turn, etc. I have had nausea off and on for about 3 days, and today, after taking a bath and another bout of vertigo, I vomited. I was wondering if this was something to be concerned about or if you have any suggestions for home remedies or if I should see a doctor immediately.

DeAnn
Age 23
relatively healthy, extreme hypochondria
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:17 pm

User avatar Hi DeAnn,

There are a few possibilities. Given that you recently had an ear infection it is possible that the balance centers of the brain (which are located in the ears) have either become infected (an inner ear infection) or are inflamed from the previous infection.

It is also possible that you have a small stone in these areas (called an otolith) that is causing the vertigo.

If this doesn't get better or if it gets worse over the course of the day I would recommend you see a doctor to have this evaluated by your doctor.

Best wishes.
 6429466 - Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:46 am

Thanks for the advice; I actually went to the doctor and I have fluid behind my ears. She never said if that was the actual cause of the vertigo, but I assumed probably so. She gave me some durahist to clear up all the fluid and congestion. I still have some vertigo but its not as bad. It comes and goes through out the day.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here