News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: My Wife has eye pain

Cowboy1978 - Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:53 pm

I have a question for my wife. She is 24 years old and for the past 6 months she has been having these popping eye pains. (that is how she describes them). She keeps getting scared that they are what they call, Mini-Stroke's, but she has this eye pain almost every day. The onlything she has ever had is hypothyroidism. But other then that Nothing that I know of. I don't really know about her family medical history, except that her mom has high blood pressure. She says the pains aren't really bad, but it scares her. SHe has never had any numbness, or anything wrong with a limb or anything like that. It has just been pain in her eyes. She had an eye exam about 3 weeks ago, and the doctor said they looked healthy. He looked for something to do with diabetes but im not sure why, but he said her eyes look healthy. Do you have any clue what these pains could be? I am sorry for the lack of information, but I just am looking for maybe some ideas so we could ask our doctor. THanks a lot

stephan
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:01 pm

User avatar Hi Stephan,

There are several causes of eye pain. One of the more common causes is a migraine headache. This type of pain would be unlikely to come and go quickly, though. I'm not certain but based on your description I am presuming that these pains are relatively brief.

There may be a component of eye strain causing these pains as well. This can still happen with a normal ophthalmologic exam.

Transient ischemic attacks (TIA's), or "mini-strokes" can cause eye problems but I would not expect this to be such a chronic issue with no other symptoms. It's possible but unlikely.

If these pains continue I would recommend that your wife see a neurologist for further evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here