News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Does dementia show up with protein levels in spinal fluid?

leeanne - Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi. I am a 36 year old female. I am currently seeing a Neurologist and have been out of work since May. I quit my job due to heavy fatigue. He has ruled out several things with me. However, I had below normal levels on my nerve conduction tests. He sees how tired my eyes are and he said I have 4 to 5 grade muscle weakness at my first visit, and I've explained to him I have extreme problems thinking, and basically it's only getting worse. I've lived here my whole life, but I can't remember which roads take you where in my town. It's very hard on me, because I have a daughter and we have moved back in with my parents. My MRI was o.k. At my last visit he did a Lumbar Puncture and is testing for M.S. and checking the protein levels for Dementia.

I guess my question is, if I definitely have a Dementia problem, will it show-up with the protein levels in my spinal fluid? I need all the answers I can get!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:13 pm

User avatar Testing for this disorder is usually done as part of the whole picture. The doctor rules out certain conditions that might cause such memory loss but which may be curable such as infection, vitamin deficiency, anemia, blood glucose problems, electroyte imbalance, drug toxicity, thyroid function and even genetic predisposition to Alzheimer's (effective in some cases but not all).

I'm sure your doctor has explained that there is no single definitive test for dementia. Sometimes scans or brainwave testing is used but I am not familiar with spinal fluid analysis for a basic diagnosis of dementia, though it might be helpful to determine other factors that could be causing these symptoms. It may be helpful in deciding about Alzheimer's disease as opposed to other types of dementia. Many disorders mimic each other and it is a matter of ruling out one, then another condition in hopes of finding the correct diagnosis. Sometimes a spinal fluid reduction is done if the patient is found to have pressure is the cause for temporary memory loss.

Best wishes for your health.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here