News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Viral Neuritis

Layla - Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 pm

I have asked questions previously about my condition (Im the one with Kikuchi-Fujimoto history).....I awoke early Aug with paralysing pain in my left arm. I have since been told subacromial bursitis, then muscle strain, now a flat out I don't know from my Orthopedic. However, after hounding him for some sort of answer, he said maybe viral neuritis, that it may be systemic. My pain has changed and is now throughout my entire arm down to my fingers. I can barely move my arm without intense pain, and sometimes it hits while perfectly still. I am also experiencing swelling throughout the upper left quadrant of my body. I have chest pains, my face is swelling (and numb on left - this has been a chronic issue). My right knee has swelled with pain up through hip. I have been getting rashes on my L leg, L breast, both hips, L elbow, L armpit - all non-itchy. (they are almost gone now - I don't believe it is Shingles, although I did have shingles on left arm 2 years ago) I have an extremely itchy patch on my L breast (different area than the rash) and left ab, with no visual abnormalities. I've been feeling really unwell the last couple of months, including dizzy spells, a faint feeling, burning sensation on face - it feels like a sunburn (no rash), headaches, shooting pain in my left ear with a feeling of fullness. I keep getting these weird chills (but not cold) up my spine, in my head, and left side of body, regardless of temperature. I week ago, I developed a lump behind my left knee, no pain, but seems to be enlarging very slightly. I have not run a fever, but after a dizzy episode, my temp dropped to 96.4. I raised it by taking a warm bath...this has not happened since. My night sweats (which began 5 years ago with the KFD) have become drenching, but I have been on different meds). My urine output seems to be very low, but my liquid intake has increased tremedously, again, I have been on diff meds. My lymph nodes on L seem to be slightly enlarged, but don't feel worrisome. I have a large lump on L arm, trapezius muscle, many behind shoulder blade, none of which are painful - all thought to be muscle knots, and my L shoulder blade is winging, with my shoulder drooping forward. Some joint fluid has been detected in shoulder through MRI and plain xray.

I have been on narcotic pain killers, antiinflammatories, muscle relaxers, etc. and have gone through a couple of months of physical therapy, which just made things worse. I am basically only using ibuprophin now just to get by. If I skip a dose, the pain becomes unrelenting. I cannot get back in to see a doctor until the end of next month, but am basically starting over with a new Dr.

Does this sound like viral neuritis, or something else? What can I do about it? What kind of tests should I ask for? What should I ask my new Dr.? I don't know where to turn next.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:05 am

User avatar Hi Layla,

There are several viruses that can affect the nerves. I'm not sure that a viral neuritis would continue as long as your symptoms are continuing. I would recommend you continue to follow up with your neurologist for further evaluation.

One possibility is a post-infectious condition where an infection, typically from a virus, subsequently sets off a cascade of other symptoms that can cause prolonged symptoms.

You may also want to discuss with your neurologist about trying a medicine called gabapentin. This medicine was initially designed as a seizure medicine but has been found to be very good at helping alleviate nerve type pain.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here