Question: Relation between EEG and Dissociative Identity Disorder

halcyon - Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:08 pm

I began having episodes similar to the symptoms of partial temporal lobe seizures in early October. I began going to a therapist who believed that I suffered from Depersonalization Disorder, a form of Dissociative Identity Disorder.

He suggested that I see a neurologist to rule out any medical conditions.
I met with the neurologist who suggested to have an EEG and a MRI done. I had both done and found that I have a brain tumor in the temporal lobe and the EEG showed signs of Epilepsy.

My question is, Is there any way that the abnormality on the EEG could really be showing up strangely because of a mental disorder, or do the results come solely from Epilepsy?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:41 pm

User avatar Hi Halcyon,

Generally, EEG's are helpful in identifying seizure disorders. I am less familiar with the changes seen in Dissociative Identity Disorder, primarily because they are generally not done unless there is suspicion of an underlying seizure disorder. I seem to recall a study that showed that with DID, upon a change to a new personality the EEG wave patterns would also change but they were not consistent with a seizure or focal problem, just different forms of normal waves.

Temporal lobe can cause a variety of symptoms and may explain your physiologic symptoms. I would recommend you see a neurosurgeon regarding the tumor to see if any intervention is needed for this. Follow up with a neurologist is also important.

|