Question: Buzzing, tingling, numbness, eyelid twitching,

mysouldances - Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:13 am

I am a 54-year-old woman currently teaching English in China. I'm in good physical health but have been taking antidepressants for anxiety for several years (100 mg Zoloft in the morning and 75 mg amitriptyline in the evening.)

In June 2007, prior to coming to China I began to get some strange sensations in my right foot. It felt like buzzing. Since then there have been numerous other strange symptoms including muscles tightening in my legs, tingling feelings on my right side including eyelid twitching and some numbness in my upper and lower limbs. The eye lid twitching and tingling in my legs moved to
my right side. A few times my arms felt weak.

There is no pain involved and none of these symptoms are affecting my life except I am beginning to worry I may have something serious, like MS.

Should I be returning to Canada now in order to be examined by a doctor or can this wait another 4 months to when I planned to go home?

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:17 pm

User avatar Hi Mysouldances,

The symptoms you are describing can all be related to a neurological issue. With the variety of locations and time (especially with the symptoms moving to a new place) there are only a few neurological syndromes that can explain these variations. I would be concerned about multiple sclerosis beginning to present.

I would recommend you see a doctor, whether in China or Canada, to have this evaluated further.

|