News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: migraine or something else...

angel242 - Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:42 am

Hi... I had a car accident about a year ago after which I started having neck and back pains. I was given pain killers and was told as a result of a neck MRI that there was a straightening of my spine in the neck area. 6 months ago I had another car accident and the pain has gotten worse. I wore a neck brace for a while, this helped a little. But the real problem is my migraine. I didnt used to have them till about 7 months ago. I get an attack at least twice a month, lasts for 4-5 days and I sometimes end up hospitilized. My neck stiffens a lot during the attacks and I get a fever everytime I have pain. Lately I ended up forgetting a lot. I couldnt recognise my fiance the other day - it was only for a second but it was enough to scare me. I see lights every now and then and I am not sure if this is because of the severity of the pain or not. I have been to a neurologist and she told me the pain was due to my neck injury. But it is not getting any better and I am tired of using pain killers. I am tired all the time no matter how much I sleep and I get dizzy very frequently. What could this be, what should I do?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:01 pm

User avatar Hello Angel242,

Headaches commonly will follow neck trauma from car accidents. In particular, if a person has a history of headaches or migraines, the resulting neck trauma can worsen the occurrences and make them more common.

Sometimes some physical therapy can help with this. Occasionally, what happens is that there is some slight malalignment of the neck due to the accident that then causes the muscles to tighten up to protect the area. This, in turn, leads to the headaches. Physical therapy can help loosen the muscles and ease the tension in the neck.

With your other associated issues such as the memory problems these headaches may represent complex migraines or basilar artery migraines (migraines due to spasming of the basilar artery in the back are of the neck/brain). I would suggest you see your primary care doctor or neurologist again to see about using a prophylactic medication to help prevent you from getting so many headaches.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here