Question: Subscapular Nerve Compression

conr102 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:26 pm

I was diagosed with Subscapular Nerve Compression. What is the prognosis for a full recovery? I am a rock climber and it is important that I learn my prognosis. I had an EMG that showed no entrapments. It shows early ennervation to the Supraspinatus and Infraspinatus. The injury took place 6 mos ago. I have doing PT regularly for the last 4 weeks. How long does it take to heal? Can it be redamaged and how would I know? Since I am not a candidate for surgery is there any other treatments (medication, etc..) that can stimulate nerve growth. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:01 pm

User avatar Hi Conr102,

Unfortunately, I can't give you a definite prognosis on this but with the EMG showing some early regrowth of the nerves I suspect that your prognosis is pretty good. Nerve recovery is very slow. It will likely take months or even a year or so to fully heal.

Physical therapy is really the main treatment for these injuries. There is always a chance of reinjury (similar to the initial injury) so be sure to discuss with your neurologist or regular doctor about any limitations that you should follow to help avoid reinjury. Reinjury would present basically with worsening pain and possibly loss of function.

|