News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Subscapular Nerve Compression

conr102 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:26 pm

I was diagosed with Subscapular Nerve Compression. What is the prognosis for a full recovery? I am a rock climber and it is important that I learn my prognosis. I had an EMG that showed no entrapments. It shows early ennervation to the Supraspinatus and Infraspinatus. The injury took place 6 mos ago. I have doing PT regularly for the last 4 weeks. How long does it take to heal? Can it be redamaged and how would I know? Since I am not a candidate for surgery is there any other treatments (medication, etc..) that can stimulate nerve growth. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:01 pm

User avatar Hi Conr102,

Unfortunately, I can't give you a definite prognosis on this but with the EMG showing some early regrowth of the nerves I suspect that your prognosis is pretty good. Nerve recovery is very slow. It will likely take months or even a year or so to fully heal.

Physical therapy is really the main treatment for these injuries. There is always a chance of reinjury (similar to the initial injury) so be sure to discuss with your neurologist or regular doctor about any limitations that you should follow to help avoid reinjury. Reinjury would present basically with worsening pain and possibly loss of function.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here