News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   



Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Growing lump pain in right side of head

 scubba - Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:14 pm

I noticed a little bump late spring or early summer like a spider bite or something I thought. The unnoticable bump has been growing in size it is only pea sized now but is hard. I have localized pain/headache in the right side a little below and above my lump. I always notice the pain like an irritant but sometimes get intense caused me to grab that side of my head and faint and work in front of coworkers. Headaches while localized are getting much worse three months ago didn't really bother me other than touching it felt stupid. sometimes the pain shoots into my right eye makes me feel a little bit off. Just curious what it could be i hate going to the doctor for nothing and every time i do go i have surgery.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:34 pm

User avatar Hello -

While it is difficult to guess with reasonable certainty exactly what is going on here, it sounds as though something is irritating one of your cranial nerves where it passes through the scalp. This can cause extremely severe and sudden, shooting headaches as a rule, and the bump may be a cyst of some sort, perhaps ganglionic. A consult with a neurologist would be in order. I don't think this is a nothing, and it is both painful and at times a major inconvenience (the fainting at work part, I would think). Please do have it looked at and taken care of. If I'm right, even in part, about what's causing this, there are often easy cures for them, although they somtimes involve surgery (depending on the precise problem and the location. This one sounds to be on the outside of the skull from the description).

Best of luck to you and I hope you will see someone and be feeling much better soon. Follow up with us here.


Check a doctor's response to similar questions


advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application


 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2016
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.