Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Growing lump pain in right side of head

scubba - Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:14 pm

I noticed a little bump late spring or early summer like a spider bite or something I thought. The unnoticable bump has been growing in size it is only pea sized now but is hard. I have localized pain/headache in the right side a little below and above my lump. I always notice the pain like an irritant but sometimes get intense caused me to grab that side of my head and faint and work in front of coworkers. Headaches while localized are getting much worse three months ago didn't really bother me other than touching it felt stupid. sometimes the pain shoots into my right eye makes me feel a little bit off. Just curious what it could be i hate going to the doctor for nothing and every time i do go i have surgery.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:34 pm

While it is difficult to guess with reasonable certainty exactly what is going on here, it sounds as though something is irritating one of your cranial nerves where it passes through the scalp. This can cause extremely severe and sudden, shooting headaches as a rule, and the bump may be a cyst of some sort, perhaps ganglionic. A consult with a neurologist would be in order. I don't think this is a nothing, and it is both painful and at times a major inconvenience (the fainting at work part, I would think). Please do have it looked at and taken care of. If I'm right, even in part, about what's causing this, there are often easy cures for them, although they somtimes involve surgery (depending on the precise problem and the location. This one sounds to be on the outside of the skull from the description).

Best of luck to you and I hope you will see someone and be feeling much better soon. Follow up with us here.

|