Question: Dizziness/Vertigo

gusgus1974 - Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:48 pm

When I was about 8 months pregnant with my last son (he is 1 now) I went to get into bed and I had my first experience with vertigo...I felt like I was spinning out of control, I had to grab onto the bed to make sure I didnt fall off. It only lasted about 45 seconds to a minute...but ever since then I have had dizziness, trouble concentrating, feeling as if I'm in a "fog", small bouts of vertigo and occasional headaches behind my eyes that make the dizziness even worse....I have had 2 MRI's and they both came back ok, I have seen the Eye, Ears, Nose, Throat Doctor and he said everything checked out ok. I have had blood work done and those labs also came back ok. I started going to Physical Therapy to have my neck/back massaged hoping that it would relieve tension and help but it hasnt either. I am really baffled here as I was feeling great up until that first night I had the vertigo experience and now I am just not myself....I get sick to my stomach a lot and feel like I could easily pass out....if I turn my head fast or spin around I get sick and have to sit down for awhile. I am a very healthy 33 year old other then these symptoms and I know something isnt right here as I shouldnt be dizzy and feel like I am in a "haze" all the time. I don't know where else to turn as I have had just about every test I can think of!!! I hope you can help!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:29 pm

What you describe sounds like benign positional vertigo, but also could be a related condition known as Menier's disease. They both cause pretty much the same symptoms, except that ordinary vertigo usually resolves within a day or so whereas Menier's causes vertigo but also involves hearing disturbances including ringing in the ears, difficulty hearing (at times) and sometimes nausea, which can be severe sometimes and is a secondary symptom which can be caused by any form of vertigo.

Many sufferers of Menier's disease complain of "brain fog", which is of unclear relationship to the disorder, and also some may suffer from depression due to the persistence of the occasionally disabling symptoms, and this depression, in turn, can manifest as fatigue. So what you've described does, in fact, sound very much like Menier's disease.

While there is no specific cure for Menier's disease, there are ways of medically managing it, with simple medication. There are also tests which can be done but which you appear not to have had yet, most significantly an electronystagmogram (ENG), which is non-invasive, painless, and takes about an hour to perform. The aim of the test is to see how the eyes react to induced dizziness caused by a) trying to follow moving projected dots with the eyes, and b) having cool and warm air blown into the ears. If the eyes demonstrate a phenomenon known as nystagmus (a sort of bouncing effect when they reach the far left or right extreme of rotation) this, along with history and symptoms, confirms the diagnosis, and medication to control the symptoms (and sometimes any accompanying depression) is prescribed, which is usually quite effective and has no major side effects in the vast majority of patients.

I would ask either the ENT doctor or, if no luck there, a neurologist, to perform this exam. I think it very likely you are suffering from Menier's disease, which in itself may be of some comfort, since it is not life-threatening, but can be at times disabling and very, very annoying, but that's about it.

Please follow up with us here. Best of luck to you.
 1447rebecca - Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:22 pm

I have been having dizziness where the room feels like it is slowly spinning to the left or violently spinning where it is hard to walk. Sometimes it is followed by Heart Palpations, Sweating , and Nausea, and an EXTREME feeling of Anxiety & Nervousness, it is also hard to breath. Also I feel the feeling of Anxiety before the dizziness or slight ear pain before the dizzines then it starts up again. I had about 3 days of feeling good, when I started motion sickness pills, it seemed to help, also I take bendryl for allergies and that seemed to help then it stopped and the dizziness reappeared. Also sometimes I have white mucus in my eyes, and it is alot where I constantly have to clean my eyes out, also I have burning & stinging in my eye. My doctor is referring me to a neurologist and I'am going to an eye doctor on thursday. I also had bronchitis and a month later I got this. Whenever I'am feeling the dizziness though, (It comes and goes throughout the day or it goes away for the day sometimes) It feels like somehow I'am causing it, I have some traits of OCD so it is making me feel like "By thinking some thoughts" that is why I'am having this problem. Sometimes it seems to come around the same time I have OCD thoughts and sometimes it just comes out of the blue when I feel fine. I'am getting the OCD thoughts under control by ignoring them and then changing my behavior it has been effective. I just wanted to rule this possiblity out because it has been irritating me!
Thank You very Much,
Rebecca

|